Thursday, December 11, 2008

Portfolio: Final Exam Frame #2

Frame II

----It has been believed that the writing process can be greatly improved if students have a group of peers to share their ideas. Elbow says, “If you are stuck writing or trying to figure something out, there is nothing better than finding one person, or more, to talk to. If they don’t agree or have trouble understanding, so much the better as long as their minds are not closed” (49). I believe Optimism choose this quote to say that a lot of people can stare at a piece of paper for hours before they write down one word. If they were to interact with other people on the topic and start talking about it gives them a wider perspective on the topic. When people have a well understanding of a topic it is much easier to write about. When you have to explain something to a person it can also help you get a deeper connection with the subject. As well as when two people have different views on a topic it makes the conversation full of meaning. All of these things can help you get more comfortable with a topic and get you starting on writing it.
----This view of writing is actually new to me; I am one of those people who can sit in front of that blank piece of paper for hours. When I have a writing assignment I usually do research to help get me started. Honestly, I don’t usually sit down with other students and talk about a topic before I start writing about it. This writing technique doesn’t match my usually writing process of figuring out what to write on my own. I usually enclosure myself in a quite room alone and sit there until I think of ides to write. Although after reading about Optimism’s writing technique it sounds very useful. I think if I would have got together more this quarter it could have really benefited myself. Like Optimism says your writing process can be greatly improved if you can learn to use this technique.
----Looking back to this last quarter I believe in some ways I did use this technique. When we were in History and Writing having an in class discussion about Bacon’s Rebellion there were something’s I didn’t quite still understand. Then when people would start talking about it and debating over it I got a lot better understanding. Another experience that relates to this view of writing is when I try to get help from my boyfriend with schoolwork. A lot of things he has no idea what I’m taking about, so when I start explaining something to him I start understanding it that much better. Sometimes I even answer my own question just from trying to explain it to him.
----Optimism dramatizes in his passage what is involved in the writing process in order to describe his view of writing. He strongly believes that the best way to get started on any kind of writing is to talk with peers. When you are stuck writing nothing is better then having a strong discussion with another person. I agree with Optimism on his view of writing and have always been one to believe that two heads are better then one. The writing process can come along a lot better if you are explaining a topic to someone else to. If you are having an open heavy debate your chance of getting ideas for your writing are that much higher. I think this method of writing is very helpful and I plan on trying to incorporate it into my own writing process.

No comments: